Using CopperSpice so can use non-UI libs that depend on QT?

Discuss anything related to product development
mbevin

Using CopperSpice so can use non-UI libs that depend on QT?

Post by mbevin »

Hi, there's some C++ non-UI libs out there that I'd like to use, but that frustratingly (for a non-QT developer) depend on small bits of QT (say for networking and such, or just bizarrely coz they chose to use classes like QT's string class rather than the STL equivalents). And given that QT is such a huge monolithic you-have-to-be-fully-in-the-QT-world-and-use-its-pre-processor-thing thing, I've always avoided them.

I was wondering if CopperSpice would finally allow relatively simple + 'lightweight' use of such libs, without forcing one fully into the QT world etc? If so, that would seem a worthwhile use-case for CopperSpice to promote.

Another question is - with plugins for QT, does CopperSpice generally 'just work' automatically, or one has to convert them (and if the latter, is there some kind of repo of converted plugins / process)? It may be that my understanding of the QT world is so bad that this question makes little sense, if so, please ignore ....

In any case, really excited to see the existence CopperSpice, and hope it really grows in the future ....
ansel

Re: Using CopperSpice so can use non-UI libs that depend on

Post by ansel »

mbevin wrote:Hi, there's some C++ non-UI libs out there that I'd like to use, but that frustratingly (for a non-QT developer) depend on small bits of QT (say for networking and such, or just bizarrely coz they chose to use classes like QT's string class rather than the STL equivalents). And given that QT is such a huge monolithic you-have-to-be-fully-in-the-QT-world-and-use-its-pre-processor-thing thing, I've always avoided them.

I was wondering if CopperSpice would finally allow relatively simple + 'lightweight' use of such libs, without forcing one fully into the QT world etc? If so, that would seem a worthwhile use-case for CopperSpice to promote.
This is a very interesting idea, and one that we may be addressing in the future. Part of our goal with CopperSpice is to reduce the size of the core library by making more use of the standard library functionality. That should go a long way towards making the issues you raise work more smoothly.
mbevin wrote:Another question is - with plugins for QT, does CopperSpice generally 'just work' automatically, or one has to convert them (and if the latter, is there some kind of repo of converted plugins / process)? It may be that my understanding of the QT world is so bad that this question makes little sense, if so, please ignore ....

In any case, really excited to see the existence CopperSpice, and hope it really grows in the future ....
Our experience with Qt Plugins has been that they "just work" following a recompile and conversion to the new signal/slot declaration syntax. The plugin API is unchanged.

Thanks for your interest and kind words,

Ansel Sermersheim
CopperSpice Cofounder
Ansel Sermersheim
CopperSpice Cofounder