Making contributions

Discuss anything related to product development
ahmedcharles

Making contributions

Post by ahmedcharles »

It seems like the method that should be used to make contributions is poorly documented. I've watched most of the talks on copperspice and I've met Barbara and Ansel in person multiple times and somehow my pull request (https://github.com/copperspice/copperspice/pull/13) took ~3 months to get merged. Note: This isn't about blame.

I noticed in this issue (https://github.com/copperspice/copperspice/issues/11) that there was an expectation that contributors would use the forum. I personally had noticed the forum but it never occurred to me that using it would result in quicker turn around for the PR I had submitted, given that it was fairly small and was required to get copperspice building on OS X.

Anyways, my point is that having a standardized and documented way to contribute would help. Most projects have a CONTRIBUTING.md file in the root of their git repo explaining this and link it from their README.md, so it's easy to discover when looking at the repo on github. It also ensures that people with the source know how to contribute without searching the web.
ansel

Re: Making contributions

Post by ansel »

First of all, thank you so much for your contributions. We appreciate all your feedback. Our aim was to use the forum for everything but then several people wanted to use GitHub and we feel it is fair to let people contribute in whatever way suits them.

Sorry it took a while to merge your pull request. We are getting better at that part of the open source development process. A good deal of our focus has been on DoxyPress and some paid contracts which have been wonderful. Our plan is to shift a great deal more attention to CopperSpice now.
Ansel Sermersheim
CopperSpice Cofounder
ahmedcharles

Post by ahmedcharles »

Thanks for your response and I understand other things taking time, that's how life is for everyone. My primary concern was avoiding miscommunication about how contributions should work. :)
ahmedcharles

Post by ahmedcharles »

I'm curious if there's anything I can do to make my current set of PRs easier/faster to get merged. Mostly cause I have probably twice that many commits locally that I haven't turned into PRs yet cause they depend on the existing PRs in some way. :)

If it's just a matter of waiting for you to have time to look at them, then that's fine. No rush.