Copperspice and python

Discuss anything related to product development
marlowa

Copperspice and python

Post by marlowa »

Hello everyone,

Are there any plans for a python copperspice module, similar to pyQt? I am currently looking at writing some python code with a GUI and there are a plethora of GUI toolkits to choose from, but not one for Copperspice that I can see.
barbara

Re: Copperspice and python

Post by barbara »

We have not done a python module as of yet. If someone would like to help out with this and submit a pull request we are happy to add it.

Barbara
mark

Post by mark »

Just wondering if there is any prospect of bindings to Python or Ruby or similar?
barbara

Post by barbara »

mark wrote: Wed Feb 17 2021 10:55 am Just wondering if there is any prospect of bindings to Python or Ruby or similar?
We have not focused on this area as of yet. The CS team is available to work with a developer who would like to port any existing bindings or create a new set.

Barbara
mark

Post by mark »

I think it would be interesting to compare how many C++/Qt projects vs. Python/Qt (PySide or PyQt) vs. Perl/Qt, Ruby/Qt. My guess would be that there are far more Python/Qt than C++/Qt; in which case of course it would be more compelling for CopperSpice usage to create the bindings. But I don't know; and I'm not sure how to find it out, although I would have thought it was possible to determine this on Linux using a source-based distro. So I'll just have to wait :)
barbara

Post by barbara »

As mentioned, the CS team is happy to work with someone on developing bindings for any language. If this is something you require keep in mind we do have a Subscription Policy where your input can further direct the CopperSpice roadmap.

https://www.copperspice.com/subscriptions.html

Barbara
seasoned_geek

Post by seasoned_geek »

You could ask Phil Thompson

https://pypi.org/user/PhilThompson/

It looks like he did both PyQt and QScintilla