Copper Spice on M1 Mac

hhenson

Copper Spice on M1 Mac

Post by hhenson »

Hi,

Was trying to compile copper spice on my M1 Mac. Got the following error:
copperspice/src/core/global/qglobal.h:90:2: error: Unable to detect system architecture, contact CopperSpice development
#error Unable to detect system architecture, contact CopperSpice development

Seems this part of the code only support dealing with Intel based processors failing if it can't find one. I see other parts of the code seem to imply that copper spice is supported on IOS so I imagine there should be a mechanism to make this work correctly on an M1 Mac.

Is there a chance of a simple fix to get this working? Not super familiar with this code base, but am willing to act as a guinea pig if that would help.

Howard

ansel

Re: Copper Spice on M1 Mac

Post by ansel »

Thank you for your interest in CopperSpice. We appreciate your willingness to test this, it will benefit the project.

As a first step, I would recommend you insert the following block before the #else in src/core/global/qglobal.h around line 89.

Code: Select all

#elif 1
#define Q_PROCESSOR_ARM 8
This will add a fallback to assume any unknown CPU conforms to the ARM v8 instruction set. Let us know what you discover with this change in place.
Ansel Sermersheim
CopperSpice Cofounder

hhenson

Post by hhenson »

OK, so the new define helps getting the compile started, but now I have the following error:

FAILED: src/gui/CMakeFiles/CsGui.dir/painting/qdrawhelper.cpp.o
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/c++ @src/gui/CMakeFiles/CsGui.dir/painting/qdrawhelper.cpp.o.rsp -MD -MT src/gui/CMakeFiles/CsGui.dir/painting/qdrawhelper.cpp.o -MF src/gui/CMakeFiles/CsGui.dir/painting/qdrawhelper.cpp.o.d -o src/gui/CMakeFiles/CsGui.dir/painting/qdrawhelper.cpp.o -c ../src/gui/painting/qdrawhelper.cpp
../src/gui/painting/qdrawhelper.cpp:6942:65: error: use of undeclared identifier 'qt_blend_rgb32_on_rgb32_neon'
blendFunctions[QImage::Format_RGB32][QImage::Format_RGB32] = qt_blend_rgb32_on_rgb32_neon;
^
../src/gui/painting/qdrawhelper.cpp:6943:80: error: use of undeclared identifier 'qt_blend_rgb32_on_rgb32_neon'
blendFunctions[QImage::Format_ARGB32_Premultiplied][QImage::Format_RGB32] = qt_blend_rgb32_on_rgb32_neon;
^
../src/gui/painting/qdrawhelper.cpp:6944:80: error: use of undeclared identifier 'qt_blend_argb32_on_argb32_neon'
blendFunctions[QImage::Format_RGB32][QImage::Format_ARGB32_Premultiplied] = qt_blend_argb32_on_argb32_neon;
^
../src/gui/painting/qdrawhelper.cpp:6945:95: error: use of undeclared identifier 'qt_blend_argb32_on_argb32_neon'
blendFunctions[QImage::Format_ARGB32_Premultiplied][QImage::Format_ARGB32_Premultiplied] = qt_blend_argb32_on_argb32_neon;
^
../src/gui/painting/qdrawhelper.cpp:6948:71: error: use of undeclared identifier 'qt_blend_rgb32_on_rgb32_neon'
blendFunctions[QImage::Format_RGBX8888][QImage::Format_RGBX8888] = qt_blend_rgb32_on_rgb32_neon;
^
../src/gui/painting/qdrawhelper.cpp:6949:85: error: use of undeclared identifier 'qt_blend_rgb32_on_rgb32_neon'
blendFunctions[QImage::Format_RGBA8888_Premultiplied][QImage::Format_RGBX8888] = qt_blend_rgb32_on_rgb32_neon;
^
../src/gui/painting/qdrawhelper.cpp:6950:85: error: use of undeclared identifier 'qt_blend_argb32_on_argb32_neon'
blendFunctions[QImage::Format_RGBX8888][QImage::Format_RGBA8888_Premultiplied] = qt_blend_argb32_on_argb32_neon;
^
../src/gui/painting/qdrawhelper.cpp:6951:99: error: use of undeclared identifier 'qt_blend_argb32_on_argb32_neon'
blendFunctions[QImage::Format_RGBA8888_Premultiplied][QImage::Format_RGBA8888_Premultiplied] = qt_blend_argb32_on_argb32_neon;
^
../src/gui/painting/qdrawhelper.cpp:6954:65: error: use of undeclared identifier 'qt_blend_argb32_on_argb32_scanline_neon'
qt_functionForMode_C[QPainter::CompositionMode_SourceOver] = qt_blend_argb32_on_argb32_scanline_neon;
^
../src/gui/painting/qdrawhelper.cpp:6955:70: error: use of undeclared identifier 'comp_func_solid_SourceOver_neon'
qt_functionForModeSolid_C[QPainter::CompositionMode_SourceOver] = comp_func_solid_SourceOver_neon;
^
../src/gui/painting/qdrawhelper.cpp:6956:59: error: use of undeclared identifier 'comp_func_Plus_neon'
qt_functionForMode_C[QPainter::CompositionMode_Plus] = comp_func_Plus_neon;

hhenson

Post by hhenson »

After a bit of investigation, I discovered that the file:
src/gui/painting/qdrawhelper_neon_p.h:28. has #ifdef QT_HAVE_NEON

but that does not appear to be found anywhere else in the source code, so I have changed that to:
#ifdef __ARM_NEON__

That seems to have gotten the code to compile, but now I seem to be stuck linking:

Linking CXX shared library lib/libCsGui1.7.dylib
FAILED: lib/libCsGui1.7.dylib
: && /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/c++ -O3 -DNDEBUG -arch arm64 -isysroot /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX11.3.sdk -dynamiclib -Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names -Wl,-undefined,error -framework AppKit -framework Carbon -framework OpenGL -o lib/libCsGui1.7.dylib -install_name @rpath/libCsGui1.7.dylib @CMakeFiles/CsGui.rsp && :
Undefined symbols for architecture arm64:
"qt_memfill32(unsigned int*, unsigned int, int)", referenced from:
QImage::fill(unsigned int) in qimage.cpp.o
comp_func_solid_Clear(unsigned int*, int, unsigned int, unsigned int) in qcompositionfunctions.cpp.o
comp_func_Clear(unsigned int*, unsigned int const*, int, unsigned int) in qcompositionfunctions.cpp.o
comp_func_solid_Source(unsigned int*, int, unsigned int, unsigned int) in qcompositionfunctions.cpp.o
comp_func_solid_SourceOver(unsigned int*, int, unsigned int, unsigned int) in qcompositionfunctions.cpp.o
rasterop_solid_NotSource(unsigned int*, int, unsigned int, unsigned int) in qcompositionfunctions.cpp.o
rasterop_ClearDestination(unsigned int*, unsigned int const*, int, unsigned int) in qcompositionfunctions.cpp.o
"comp_func_Plus_neon(unsigned int*, unsigned int const*, int, unsigned int)", referenced from:
QDrawHelperFunctions::QDrawHelperFunctions() in qdrawhelper.cpp.o
QDrawHelperFunctions::instance() in qdrawhelper.cpp.o
"convert_RGB888_to_RGB32_neon(QImageData*, QImageData const*, QFlags<Qt::ImageConversionFlag>)", referenced from:
QImageConversions::QImageConversions() in qimage_conversions.cpp.o
QImageConversions::QImageConversions() in qimage_conversions.cpp.o
QImageConversions::instance() in qimage_conversions.cpp.o
"qt_blend_rgb32_on_rgb32_neon(unsigned char*, int, unsigned char const*, int, int, int, int)", referenced from:
"qt_fetch_radial_gradient_neon(unsigned int*, Operator const*, QSpanData const*, int, int, int)", referenced from:
"qt_blend_argb32_on_argb32_neon(unsigned char*, int, unsigned char const*, int, int, int, int)", referenced from:
"comp_func_solid_SourceOver_neon(unsigned int*, int, unsigned int, unsigned int)", referenced from:
"qt_convert_rgb888_to_rgb32_neon(unsigned int*, unsigned char const*, int)", referenced from:
QJpegHandler::QJpegHandler() in qjpeghandler.cpp.o
"qt_blend_argb32_on_argb32_scanline_neon(unsigned int*, unsigned int const*, int, unsigned int)", referenced from:
"_png_init_filter_functions_neon", referenced from:
_png_read_filter_row in pngrutil.c.o
ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture arm64
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

hhenson

Post by hhenson »

Have been trying to chase the last errors down.

There are the changes I have needed to make so far:

The suggestion you made plus a bit more in qglobal.h:
# elif 1
#define Q_PROCESSOR_ARM 8
#define Q_PROCESSOR_ARM_64
#define QT_HAVE_NEON

in painting.cmake

${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/painting/qdrawhelper_neon.cpp
${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/painting/qdrawhelper_neon_asm.S

In image.cmake

${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/image/qimage_neon.cpp

I have undone the change to the define I previously mentioned by adding the defines above.

I have now run into this now:
Linking CXX shared library lib/libCsGui1.7.dylib
FAILED: lib/libCsGui1.7.dylib
: && /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/c++ -O3 -DNDEBUG -arch arm64 -isysroot /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX11.3.sdk -dynamiclib -Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names -Wl,-undefined,error -framework AppKit -framework Carbon -framework OpenGL -o lib/libCsGui1.7.dylib -install_name @rpath/libCsGui1.7.dylib @CMakeFiles/CsGui.rsp && :
Undefined symbols for architecture arm64:
"_png_init_filter_functions_neon", referenced from:
_png_read_filter_row in pngrutil.c.o
ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture arm64

The problem looks similar to the ones before, but this is in a submodule.

hhenson

Post by hhenson »

Last change to image.cmake

${CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR}/src/3rdparty/libpng/arm/arm_init.c
${CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR}/src/3rdparty/libpng/arm/filter_neon.S
${CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR}/src/3rdparty/libpng/arm/filter_neon_intrinsics.c

This seems to let me compile the code.

barbara

Post by barbara »

Thanks for all your work.

We are looking at setting up something with a client to test building on an M1. These changes will help a lot.

Barbara

hhenson

Post by hhenson »

No problem, there is still one problem with the scripting (if I remember correctly) where it is not correctly picking out the fact that the processor is 64 bit and as such is trying to cast pointers to 32 bit handles. I have not had a chance to figure out where to correct this exactly. I may have some time on the weekend to try again.