Are you aware of the Conan project and Bincrafters?

CandL

Are you aware of the Conan project and Bincrafters?

Post by CandL »

Conan is decentralized, open-source (MIT licensed), C/C++ package manager. (https://conan.io)

Bincrafters is a group of OSS developers with a shared interest in making binary software packages. (https://bincrafters.github.io/) This link is a bit dated but a good start. Bincrafters has access to a number of CI machines, from which they grab Open Source projects, compile them and then distribute them via bintray. If I read the webpage correctly they currently release 911 packages … though a 100 or so of them maybe boost flavors, chuckle (https://bintray.com/search?query=bincrafters)

If you have heard of them, have you considered publishing CopperSpice to their repositories?

For me, I tend to develop using compiler suites of C/C++/FORTRAN …. Yes I said FORTRAN. Conan helps me keep the ABIs straight for both 3’rd party and in-house libraries.

By the way it was a Bincrafters member who pointed me in your direction... so blame them.

Regards
CandL
barbara

Re: Are you aware of the Conan project and Bincrafters?

Post by barbara »

We were aware of Conan but not Bincrafters. Sounds like we should get in touch with them and thank them for the referral.

As of CppCon 2019 we decided to drop support for Autotools and focus only on our CMake build files. Our CMake files just went through a major update and standardization process. The members of the CopperSpice team are working together to create native packages for several platforms. We already have a few packages for nuget for our MSVC users.

We would be overjoyed if you would like to help out in creating or testing packages for your preferred platform.

Barbara
CandL

Post by CandL »

Your CMake comments are good to hear, are those changes checked into Github? My "preferred" build process is CMake/Ninja so starting with fairly recent updates would be good.

I need have MSVS 2015 (MSVC 14) version of CopperSpice because of 3'rd party constraints. Now MSVS 2015 picks up most of C++11, not so much on the C++14.

Do you have an opinion on the chance of success for building CopperSpice using Clang 9 set up to spit out MSVS 2015 code? I will have a few learning hurdle to overcome, but I think it might be possible
barbara

Post by barbara »

Your CMake comments are good to hear, are those changes checked into Github?
We do have CMake build files for CopperSpice however they are being significantly modernized as we move to CMake 3.8 as the minimum requirement. Right now we are testing and should have the new files on github sometime next week.
I need have MSVS 2015 (MSVC 14) version of CopperSpice because of 3'rd party constraints. Now MSVS 2015 picks up most of C++11, not so much on the C++14.
This is a link to our current list of supported platforms. We have lots of CS build information in the CS Overview documentation. Please ignore anything about Autotools, this will be removed soon.

https://www.copperspice.com/docs/cs_overview/supported-platforms.html

Currently we require C++14 and about to move to C++17 and gain a lot of new functionality. For MSVC there was no way to compile CopperSpice until MSVC 15.8.1 due to lack of C++11 support. I know, kind of strange but they had issues with decltype and SFINAE. Thankfully this version supports most of C++17 so we do not need to bump the minimum version.
Do you have an opinion on the chance of success for building CopperSpice using Clang 9 set up to spit out MSVS 2015 code?

We tested with clang 8 on Debian and I suspect there will be zero problems However, we can not support MSVC 2015 as mentioned above.

Barbara
tim

Post by tim »

With the new CMake changes and no more autotools, I may spend a little time creating a (test) Conan package (or set of packages). I'll report back if I have something worth trying out :-).

Tim.
CandL

Post by CandL »

Tim:

If you have issues you can reach out to me, but better resources are at cpp slack : cpplang.slack.com

Specifically the following groups:
  • conan the authors maybe online
  • bincrafters
other groups of interest:
  • cmake
  • llvm
  • qt
Enjoy

Regards
Carl
tim

Post by tim »

Hi Carl,

Thank you for the extra resources. I have been in contact with the Conan and Bincrafters teams for some other projects and will surely ask them many questions if I get stuck at any point in my effort to create CopperSpice conan packages. It's mainly a question of finding time, as always ;-). If you are interested in helping out, let me know and we can find a way to cooperate to get this done :D.

Tim.