What is the copperspice business model?

rconde01

What is the copperspice business model?

Post by rconde01 »

Hi guys!

I've been following copperspice loosely for a while now and one thing I was wondering about is your business model. It seems Barbara and Ansel are quite committed to copperspice...at a level that is (IMO) way beyond a project to which you're contributing merely because of your domain interest. Copperspice is opensource and free (as in beer). Apart from evaluating copperspice on it's technical merits, as someone looking at copperspice as a technology solution I need to consider the longevity of the project and the likelihood it will continue to be maintained and enhanced into the future. Are you looking to monetize it (eventually) through training and consulting? Something else? What motivates your involvement moving forward beyond your passion for providing a solution for this domain?
barbara

Re: What is the copperspice business model?

Post by barbara »

It seems Barbara and Ansel are quite committed to copperspice...at a level that is (IMO) way beyond a project to which you're contributing merely because of your domain interest
The project is not just the two of us and has included several other people for the last several years. New new developers are joining the team on a regular basis. We recently posted a banner on our twitter account to show case a few of the team members.

https://twitter.com/copperspice_cpp
. . .someone looking at copperspice as a technology solution I need to consider the longevity of the project . . .
We delighted to hear that you are considering CopperSpice as a business solution.
Are you looking to monetize it (eventually) through training and consulting? Something else? What motivates your involvement moving forward beyond your passion for providing a solution for this domain?
We currently do and have been generating revenue for C++ trainings, CopperSpice and DoxyPress enhancements, and customer product support. Our motivation and business model is to provide value to the C++ community through our libraries, contributions to the C++ standard, trainings, videos, and future customers.

Although you do not need a license to use CopperSpice, we know the ability to purchase priority support is of value. The CopperSpice team is currently working on standardizing various levels of paid customer support and making this a public offer.

Barbara
Co-Founder of CopperSpice
CandL

Post by CandL »

Ok I swear to you that I do not know who "rconde01" is, but I talked this very thing over with my wife for an hour this weekend. What does Copperspice want to be?

Let's say that today Copperspice has 50 people using Copperspice as a "business solution" what will Copperspice look like with 500 or 1000 (10x,20x you pick the base number) This will mean a huge change going from a cottage industry, to a more structured and diverse development/support team.

Personally I hope you want Copperspice to grow, if you don't I understand. Some chefs like having a boutique cafe, and others want multiple 5 stars ... yes I am a bit of a foodie too.... and have learned to back off about trying to expand a favorite spot.

Things I need for a business solution:
  • Broad compiler support ... 3'rd party apps often dictate what I use... for example MSVS 2015
    • Continue to support older compiler/libraries ... not everything can be new and shiny
  • Play well with other libraries, your lib is not the entire universe (consider VTK, HDF5, Boost, Protocol Buffers etc)
    • Actually encouraging a layer approach of libraries (Qwt is a viable contender to QCharts)
  • I need for you to survive and prosper
    • but not to well, I want you driving new Fords/Chevy/Subarus not Range Rovers/Mercedes-AMG GTs
    • Be prepared for Qt's attorneys ... you know they will come
    • Resist the ... "if we can't beat them buy them approach"
  • Remember choosing you as a business solution means my neck & mortgage are on the line too
Well I have rambled on too long ... just remember the saying "Be careful what you wish for"
barbara

Post by barbara »

Personally I hope you want Copperspice to grow, if you don't I understand.
Our intention and current direction is to expand usage of CopperSpice organically. As more people use the libraries and DoxyPress we are attracting more contributors, team members, and interest. This is actually a very exciting phase for everyone on the team, which is rapidly growing.
I need for you to survive and prosper
It is comments like this which inspire and humble us. Thank you for sharing what you need.

As a side note, we added a new list showing the CopperSpice release dates for the past few years. This may help to see that we have new versions out several times a year.
Resist the ... "if we can't beat them buy them approach"
Awesome point and you are not the first to mention this to us. Everyone on the team (and contributing) is a firm believer in the value of open source software. Anyone can join the team or just submit pull requests, this is what will make CopperSpice even better. Keeping CopperSpice independent from outside commercial interests is a key guiding principle of the project. Your point of view is well aligned with how we envision the direction of CopperSpice.

Barbara