Building an application with gcc 10

DerAlbi

Building an application with gcc 10

Post by DerAlbi »

I am currently trying to switch the compiler to GCC 10.1.
Everything builds, but my application crashes.

To clarify:
CS (built with GCC10.1) + Application (built with GCC7.5.0) is fine
CS (built with GCC10.1) + Application (built with GCC10.1) crashes.

It crashes here:
Callstack wrote:std::_Deque_iterator<QString8, QString8 const&, QString8 const*>::_Deque_iterator stl_deque.h:169
std::deque<QString8, std::allocator<QString8> >::_M_range_insert_aux<std::_Deque_iterator<QString8, QString8 const&, QString8 const*> > deque.tcc:600
QApplicationPrivate::createPlatformIntegration() 0x00007ffff540b1bd
QApplicationPrivate::createEventDispatcher() 0x00007ffff540c948
QCoreApplicationPrivate::init() 0x00007ffff39357dd
QApplicationPrivate::init() 0x00007ffff540ef1c
QApplication::QApplication(int&, char**, int) 0x00007ffff54106ad
main main.cpp:408
__libc_start_main 0x00007ffff1ad3b97
_start 0x000000000042594a
"ldd MyApp" and "ldd platforms/CsGuiXcb1.7.so" show no missing dependencies - which does not conclude that the dependencies that are found are compatible... comparing "ldd builtWithGCC7.5/MyApp" vs "ldd builtWithGCC10.1/MyApp" shows that GCC10.1 leaves a lot more dependencies in.
ldd builtWithGCC7.5/MyApp wrote:linux-vdso.so.1
libCsGui1.7.so
libCsCore1.7.so
libstdc++.so.6
libm.so.6
libgcc_s.so.1
libc.so.6
libudev.so.1
libpthread.so.0
libCsOpenGL1.7.so
libCsSvg1.7.so
libOpenGL.so.0
libz.so.1
/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
libdl.so.2
librt.so.1
libGLdispatch.so.0
vs
ldd builtWithGCC10.1/MyApp wrote:linux-vdso.so.1
libCsOpenGL1.7.so
libCsSvg1.7.so
libCsGui1.7.so
libCsCore1.7.so
libz.so.1
libdl.so.2
libpthread.so.0
libOpenGL.so.0
libGLX.so.0
libGLU.so.1
libstdc++.so.6
libm.so.6
libgcc_s.so.1
libc.so.6
libudev.so.1
/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
libGLdispatch.so.0
libX11.so.6
libGL.so.1
librt.so.1
libxcb.so.1
libXau.so.6
libXdmcp.so.6
overall GCC10.1 adds
libGLX.so.0
libGLU.so.1
libX11.so.6
libGL.so.1
libxcb.so.1
libXau.so.6
libXdmcp.so.6
Makes no sense to me
If anyone knows what to look for in particular, i am all ears.
barbara

Re: Building an application with gcc 10

Post by barbara »

Note: Since this was a new question we moved it to a new thread. Each thread should center around one issue.

Are you building on Linux Mint? If you are using Mint, we encourage you to use a supported CS platform such as Ubuntu. Here is a link to our supported platforms.

https://www.copperspice.com/docs/cs_overview/supported-platforms.html

I do know we have CopperSpice users on gcc 10 and they are not reporting any current issues. Since the crash happens in your application I would suggest you create a very small repeatable sample with as few lines as possible and no other external libraries.

There was a lot of system and user information missing from your post. What platform, what is your directory structure for the installation of CopperSpice, did the XCB plugin report an error when loading, etc.
DerAlbi

Post by DerAlbi »

I compiled / installed 10.2 now and that works. It is likely that my 10.1 gcc is not properly installed or configured or paths are not as they should be.
The likely cause of this issue maybe a wrongly loaded dependency. Even i have had a very knowledgeable guy look over the problem (we manually checked all the loaded dependencies), we could not get 10.1 to work.

I dont think Mint is very far from Ubuntu 18.04 and generally compatible with software found for 18.04.
I certainly wont change my OS because of CopperSpice - maybe i reinstall it in some time.. it is my first Linux install and i have very likely broken a lot of aspects by playing around :oops: (such as gcc10.1)

The rotated text issue did not get resolved by GCC10.2.
barbara

Post by barbara »

Just to confirm, your crash with gcc 10.1 was due to an install issue on your personal machine?

Ubuntu 18.04 is simply not the same as Linux Mint. As we have stated you are using a version of Linux which is not supported. You are free to do so however you will need to test your issues on a supported CS version.

When you report an issue you should always include your system information.

Please note that each thread should contain questions and comments about one topic. This is why we moved your gcc issue to a separate thread.
DerAlbi

Post by DerAlbi »

I can unfortunately neither confirm nor deny that my GCC10.1 is broken. I have successfully used GCC10.1 on x64 and had no issues outside of CopperSpice. Yet, CS brings a whole lot of dependencies in the mix - which is a situation that does not occur in my small helper applications.
Therefore 10.1 could be broken on my system without me noticing it.
On the other hand i had an experienced person look over the issue and he also did not found anything obviously wrong.
So for now.. its just weird and i think until someone else has comparable issues, thats the end of the story: undetermined.