Static linking dependencies

redtide

Static linking dependencies

Post by redtide »

I would like to know when using static linking which external dependencies are used or if there is a chance, unlike qt, to embed them in. This because there is an issue in audio plugins using UIs with external dependencies that might interfere with the host application.
barbara

Re: Static linking dependencies

Post by barbara »

Please tell us exactly what you trying to do using the CopperSpice libraries.

Are you witting an application? A plugin? Which CS libraries are you using?

Barbara
redtide

Post by redtide »

nothing yet, just wondering if I can use CopperSpice as UI for audio VST plugins.
barbara

Post by barbara »

use CopperSpice as UI for audio VST plugins
Sorry, we are still trying to parse exactly what you want to do. I understand you have not done anything as of yet but just thinking about something.

Are you asking if you can link some existing plugin with the CS libraries? This is not what a plugin is for. The idea of a plugin is to swap out some code for another piece of code. We have a printer driver on Unix that works with cups. If you do not like our printer driver you can write a new plugin and swap out one for the other.

Are you are looking to write a plug in, then it needs to be a DLL or SO file. Your plugin will be loaded and used by some other application. We are guessing but was your idea to link the CsCore and CsGui libraries with your plugin and only release the one dll or so file? If this is what you want then you may have multiple issues. The first one is licensing. With LGPL you must distribute your plugin and make it possible for a user to swap out a different build of any CS libraries you are using.

Let us know a bit more and we will do our best to help out.

Barbara
redtide

Post by redtide »

I just want to know which minimum dependencies are needed for CopperSpice to work to be embedded statically in an audio plugin dll/so/dynlib library. The use case here is under Linux with a self-contained library without external dependencies or with very minimal ones (say like X11 or OpenGL for example).