Problem building Kitchensink with VS2022

barbara

Re: Problem building Kitchensink with VS2022

Post by barbara »

So probably, I must change the CMakeLists.txt
We would strongly advise against changing our CS build files since they are working. In our CI we have tested the steps we did and they work. I am not sure at this time what step is causing you a problem.

Let me offer you an alternative for building CopperSpice. You can run CMake and build from the VS command prompt. Then you simply do the following:

Code: Select all

cd c:\csp_build
cmake -G "Ninja"  -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug  -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=c:\csp_lib  c:\csp_source
ninja install
Keep in mind, it is not actually necessary for you to build CopperSpice since we provide the Release and Debug binary files o github and our download website. It might make more sense for you to download the binary files for CS and simply build KS so you can decide if this is the direction you want to pursue.
My final goal (I am not a professional) is to make smaller projects, which have a rather simple GUI (Menu, Editfields, Images etc) and are statically linked. (no DLLs) Is this possible?
CopperSpice does not support static linking at this time due to licensing of end user applications. If you looking to release closed source applications using any LGPL library then dynamic linking is your best option. Static linking normally requires providing your users the full source code so they can rebuild if necessary.

Barbara
Peter H

Post by Peter H »

Barbara,

thank you so much for your patient help!
I will then use something else, unfortunately.
I want a GUI-RAD System with visual designer and native compiled language and static linking.
The best what I have is Free Pascal, but I am not so happy with the language, I would prefer C++.

Anyway thank you very much!
barbara

Post by barbara »

I want a GUI-RAD System with visual designer and native compiled language and static linking.
Just thought I would add a bit more information since you seem interested in using C++. Various members of our CopperSpice team have been involved in this language since well before the C++98 release. It is not a software language that supports Rapid Application Development. This an old term and there are very few if any projects going in this direction.

Applications which provide "visual design" like MSVC, do not provide any means to automatically add the full business logic. They simply let you layout the user interface. So no matter which designer or language you select someone still needs to write the code which implements how the GUI objects work together.

One other thought, you mentioned a requirement for static linking. We would be very interested in knowing why.

Thanks,

Barbara