CopperSpice 1.7.2 on RHEL 8.3

Report any problems with CopperSpice
aquilinaj

CopperSpice 1.7.2 on RHEL 8.3

Post by aquilinaj »

Hi,

I am trying to use CopperSpice 1.7.2 on RHEL 8.3. I built CopperSpice on RHEL 8.3, setting WITH_WEBKIT to NO.

I am now trying to get the KitchenSink application to build on RHEL 8.3. I ran cmake against the CMakeLists.txt file in the top directory of the KitchenSink application and it ran successfully. I am now trying to build the application by running the command: -

cmake --build . --config Release

It fails with the following error: -

src/CMakeFiles/KitchenSink.dif/build.make:1053: *** target pattern contains no '%'. Stop.
gmake[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:112: src/CMakeFiles/KitchenSink.dir/all] Error 2
gmake: *** [Makefile:171: all] Error 2

I looked at the file src/CMakeFiles/KitchenSink.dif/build.make and starting from line 1053 it had the following lines: -

bin/Kitchensink: CopperSpice::CsCore - NOTFOUND
bin/Kitchensink: CopperSpice::CsGui - NOTFOUND
bin/Kitchensink: CopperSpice::CsNetwork - NOTFOUND
bin/Kitchensink: CopperSpice::CsOpenGL - NOTFOUND
bin/Kitchensink: CopperSpice::CsScript - NOTFOUND
bin/Kitchensink: CopperSpice::CsSql - NOTFOUND
bin/Kitchensink: CopperSpice::CsSvg - NOTFOUND
bin/Kitchensink: CopperSpice::CsXml - NOTFOUND
bin/Kitchensink: CopperSpice::CsXmlPatterns - NOTFOUND
bin/Kitchensink: CopperSpice::CsMultimedia - NOTFOUND

I had to change a line in the CMakeLists.txt file so that find_package(CopperSpice REQUIRED) worked, this was: -

set(CopperSpice_DIR "../copperspice-cs-1.7.2/install/rhel8.3/release/lib64/cmake/CopperSpice")

was there anything else I needed to do?

Kind Regards,

John
barbara

Re: CopperSpice 1.7.2 on RHEL 8.3

Post by barbara »

John,

You mentioned you are using RedHat Enterprise 8.3. Please be aware that our supported versions currently include Centos 8 and not RedHat. Our CI system is running Centos 8.1.1911.

1 What is your command line to (a) build and then (b) install CS from source. Both building and installing are required.

2 Just curious why you selected Makefiles and not Ninja files.

bin/Kitchensink: CopperSpice::CsCore - NOTFOUND
This sounds like the CS install may not have been done.

Tossing this link just in case you have not seen our CS Overview documentation.
file:///Z:/w_docs/cs_overview/html/build-overview.html

Barbara
aquilinaj

Post by aquilinaj »

Barbara,

Thank you for your reply. The company I work for made a commercial decision not to support CentOS for our desktop applications and to support RHEL instead.

1) Here are all the cmake command lines I used, to build and install CS: -

i) cmake ../../.. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX="../../../install/rhel8.3/release" -DWITH_WEBKIT=NO
ii) cmake --build . --config Release --parallel 8
iii) cmake --install . --config Release

2) There are two reasons why I used Makefiles, firstly it is the default and secondly that is what we have used historically. Would you recommend using Ninja instead?

3) Here are all the cmake command lines I used for Kitchen Sink: -

i) cmake ../../.. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX="../../../install/rhel8.3/release" -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH="~/copperspice-cs-1.7.2/install/rhel8.3/release/lib64/cmake/CopperSpice"
ii) cmake --build . --config Release --parallel 8

Please note I did not install CS in the default location.

Kind Regards,

John
aquilinaj

Post by aquilinaj »

Barbara,

Thank you for the link to the Build Overview. I have followed the instructions and have successfully built Kitchen Sink using ninja.

I don't know why using make files fails, as I followed virtually identical instructions. I am now going to use ninja going forward.

Thank you very much for your help.

Kind Regards,

John
barbara

Post by barbara »

The company I work for made a commercial decision not to support CentOS for our desktop applications and to support RHEL instead.
It is actually really nice to know someone is using our CentOS setup on RHEL. Please keep us informed on anything you believe might be different or unusual.
Would you recommend using Ninja instead?
We recommend Ninja since it is faster and better at incremental builds.

Barbara