Debian 12 has same selection problem as Mate

Report any problems with CopperSpice
seasoned_geek

Debian 12 has same selection problem as Mate

Post by seasoned_geek »

https://www.logikalsolutions.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2024/03/Screenshot-from-2024-03-23-08-27-29.png

Something in the XCB code appears to be confusing the layer selection happens at. Assuming top layer instead of background. Ordinary selection is fine, but when you click on a different window so this one goes inactive, the inactive background gets painted on top layer instead of background layer.
ansel

Re: Debian 12 has same selection problem as Mate

Post by ansel »

I use Debian 12 with the default GNOME desktop as my development environment and I have not experienced any problems. Did you try using MATE on Debian 12, and is that where you encountered problems like you found on Ubuntu?
Ansel Sermersheim
CopperSpice Cofounder
seasoned_geek

Re: Debian 12 has same selection problem as Mate

Post by seasoned_geek »

Nope, I used the default Gnome-3 to test then installed the Flashback desktop that uses the Gnome-3 libraries with but provides a real desktop UI.

You don't have any problems because Diamond, using QTextEdit does not support inactive text selection background. This is the changing of the selection background (usually to a different shade of gray) when a user clicks in a different window making this window "not the primary."

All Scintilla based editors support this. None of the other Scintilla based editors have this problem because RedDiamond is the only one using CopperSpice.

https://texteditors.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ScintillaEditorFamily

It would be a lot easier for me to track down had you gotten around to pulling the Debian and RPM packaging code given the pull request sat outstanding for over a year without any feedback and I've been forced to work in that branch since then.

Prior to merging in the code on January 3rd this worked fine. I'm not in my office right now so cannot be certain, but I think the previous merge was sometime in June of last year . . . maybe August. It's a public repo so you should be able to get to it.

https://github.com/RolandHughes/copperspice/tree/RPM

GitKraken will let you see the merge history.

The latest AppImage got built on Ubuntu 18.04 and accidentally used the previous ls-CopperSpice .deb with the latest CsScintilla. Pull it down and it works everywhere.

When building locally and using the latest debian package of copperspice built using the code merged in January, selecting text works great. Click in another window (or just [GOLD]-7 to the command line) making the edit window "inactive" and the text blots out.

Something in the changes since June of last year until Jan 03, 2024 walked on the "layer" being used for "inactive" backgrounds.

I built RedDiamond using the previous debian of CsScintilla and the problem persists. Scintilla reaches out to the UI library it is built with for rendering of such things. The 40-some checkins to Master since last merge appear to mostly be updating copyright notices and cleaning up a couple of compilation warnings.

CsScintilla gets a few downloads every week, but as far as I know RedDiamond is the only editor out there using both CopperSpice and Scintilla.

The CsScintilla package itself has simple examples, all of which demonstrate this problem. If you have a previous (June of last year) build of CopperSpice installed in proper system locations, there is one shell script to build and install CsScintilla. Once installed there is a single shell script to build the examples. It all works with previous CopperSpice.