Could you include option to clear recent document?

Discuss how to use the Diamond Editor
opaque

Could you include option to clear recent document?

Post by opaque »

Perhaps an option under the File menu? Currently I found no way to clear recent documents. I found them on CopperSpice.conf under .config but even if I deleted it when I start Diamond the recent documents were still there. It's very inconvenient.

p/s: I also don't understand why these information was put in CopperSpice.conf? Meanwhile Diamond Editor.conf is empty.
barbara

Re: Could you include option to clear recent document?

Post by barbara »

Currently I found no way to clear recent documents.
We are not entirely sure what you are trying to ask. Would you like an option in Diamond to clear the list of recently opened documents? Or maybe you wanted a way to erase the current document? Or maybe you were looking for a configuration option of some type. Please know that since Diamond is a fully open source project you make changes to a cloned copy or submit a pull request on github.
I found them on CopperSpice.conf under .config
What is CopperSpice.conf or .config?
why these information was put in CopperSpice.conf? Meanwhile Diamond Editor.conf is empty.
Can you explain what Diamond Editor.conf is or refers to. As the maintainer and one of the key developers of Diamond, I know this is not part of the Diamond project. Can you explain how and where you found this?

The CopperSpice team will do our best to provide support when we know what the actually concerns are.

Barbara
opaque

Post by opaque »

Yes, I asked about a feature to remove recent document list. In most of the editors I used it's under the File menu: File/Clear recent documents list or File/Recent Files/Clear Recent Files. The actual implementation is up to you but the feature itself is needed.

I'm surprised that you don't know about these files. I'm using Debian 10 and downloaded the binary for Debian 10. When I run Diamond, open a few text file and exit, it created under $HOME/.config four files:

two directories: Diamond and Diamond Editor, these directories are the actual place Diamond saved it recent document list, after they are deleted Diamond is clean but my custom settings (font, font size...) also lost;

two .conf files: Diamond Editor.conf (empty) and CsProject.conf (also stores the recent document list).

I noticed these .conf files are very normal for Qt5 based applications. After I start a Qt5 application the file QtProject.conf always created. So it's no surprise the same thing apply for Cs. Another example is Qt Designer, alongside the $HOME/.designer it also created $HOME/QtProject/Designer.conf.
opaque

Post by opaque »

Diamond is a good editor. Do you have any plan to make it more popular? I use KATE on Windows since they provide the Windows version but I think I could safety switch to Diamond as my requirements are not much and I think Diamond is good enough for me.
barbara

Post by barbara »

I asked about a feature to remove recent document list. In most of the editors I used it's under the File menu: File/Clear recent documents list or File/Recent Files/Clear Recent Files.
This feature is already in Diamond and is in fact documented. I have included the text from our online docs which you may want to read.
Recent File List
Right click on any recent file to delete it from the list
Right click on any recent file to clear the entire list
On line docs are here: https://www.copperspice.com/docs/diamond/features.html

If you would like to submit enhancements to our documentation please email at info@copperspcie.com
barbara

Post by barbara »

I'm using Debian 10 and downloaded the binary for Debian 10. When I run Diamond, open a few text file and exit, it created under $HOME/.config four files:
Yes, this is a file which is found on Unix systems. Diamond does not directly read this file which is what I thought you were referring to. All of the configuration settings Diamond reads are saved in a JSON file. I would like to suggest we keep our conversations focused on CopperSpice rather than how other products may implement things.
Diamond is a good editor. Do you have any plan to make it more popular?
Sadly there is no way to demand that developers use Diamond, although it would be nice. As a Windows developer I was unable to find a good modern programmers editor, so we developed this program. If you would like to promote Diamond to others at your work place this would be good idea.

Barbara
opaque

Post by opaque »

barbara wrote: Fri Apr 17 2020 6:52 pm
Diamond is a good editor. Do you have any plan to make it more popular?
Sadly there is no way to demand that developers use Diamond, although it would be nice. As a Windows developer I was unable to find a good modern programmers editor, so we developed this program. If you would like to promote Diamond to others at your work place this would be good idea.

Barbara
My last request please. Could you ship with Diamond a working .desktop file so I could put it in $HOME/.local/share/applications and set it as the default text editor?

My own .desktop file adapted from xed (Mint's default editor) doesn't work when I assigned it as default text editor via Nemo (Mint's default file manager). Double click on the .desktop file does launch Diamond normally, though.

Here is my diamond.desktop's content:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Diamond
Comment=Edit text files
Exec=/home/opaque/Downloads/diamond-1.3.3-debian10-x64/diamond %U
Terminal=false
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
MimeType=text/plain;
Icon=accessories-text-editor
Categories=Utility;TextEditor;
Keywords=text;editor;tabs;highlighting;code;multiple;files;pluggable;notepad;
Name[en_US]=diamond.desktop
p/s: I have already set the .desktop file as executable.