Possible impending Qt fork and copperspice opportunity

Discuss anything related to product development
seasoned_geek

Re: Possible impending Qt fork and copperspice opportunity

Post by seasoned_geek »

People who build devices in a regulated environment need stability above all else.

Security is always designed into the device, that is the reason it is a regulated environment. Most aren't even using any of your network code because they are all developing I/O appliances. They share no memory or disk storage with the device. They exist in the device providing all Bluetooth, wifi, serial, hardware network, etc. communications. A single high speed serial communication channel (usually a trace on the board) is the only method of connection between device and outside world. Across this connection a limited set of fixed format fixed field width messages are exchanged. The I/O appliance has no ability to reach into the actual device. It's a self contained universe.

Manufacturers of such devices spend a lot of money on support contracts but they cannot pay for or use shifting sand.
barbara

Post by barbara »

We are indeed an option for many companies but maybe not everyone. Some will choose to wait until we can offer some kind of stability. However, if we choose to sacrifice the quality of CopperSpice then we are just another library which will stagnate. Taking the time and putting in the effort to ensure CopperSpice has a good foundation is imperative.
  • We all agree a stable API is needed
  • We agree that once stabilized the bar to change the API is very high ( we do not want API churn )
  • We intend to support the CS API for a "long time"
  • We have not yet frozen the CopperSpice API however we are on a fast-track to do exactly that
Standard C++ APIs are supported for decades and our current work is to align CopperSpice with the C++ Standard. This is a HUGE feature. As long as there is a supported C++ compiler with a standard library on some platform, we can support that platform.

I know you are worried and we can appreciate your situation. However there are legacy parts of the code base which need to change and if we do not make those modifications now it will never get done.
Most aren't even using any of your network code because they are all developing I/O appliances.
There are potential users who have indicated they want the CopperSpice Network library to be secure. At the request of these developers we are working on this and will fix CsNetwork and do it right.

Barbara
fidozen

Post by fidozen »

Hi all,

I am an sporadic Qt user, but even like this I have started to search for an alternative as soon as I have noticed the new Qt open source release timing, and what it is not going to be available as an off-line installation anymore, etc, etc.

I think it's their right, they seem want to scratch a couple more of paid licenses, but there are some details that makes me think situation with Qt maybe its turning a bit hostile

What I perceive about Qt6 is the Qt Company core business now are embedded systems, leaving the desktop applications behind again. The same way the main efforts with Qt5 were destined to Android integration, the graphic acceleration demanded by those kind of devices, and the insistent development of QML, QML2, QtQuick, Qt Designer Studio, etc, like if they were trying to convince their ownselfs such approach it is not reinventing the wheel of a markup language as html-css assisted with a runtime interpreted language, like does an internet browser, without adding any kind of advantage

I guess the Desktop applications target, and bugs Not related to their core business, are just a secondary asset maintained alive 'just in case', or maybe due legacy contracts with other companies, or something in the line.

I could easily being wrong about what it's cooking, I am sporadic user, but it really looks like that, besides the license matter.

PD: I didn't knew about Qt6 and windows 7 , it is creepy. Silly no sense decision, I subscribe that Desktop it is not their target.

Last edited by fidozen on Tue Aug 11 2020 3:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.