CopperSpice License Question

Discuss anything related to product development
CandL

Re: CopperSpice License Question

Post by CandL »

I have already:

1) I do not claim to be an expert. just showing what is working for me
- Remember I am an mechanical engineer ... us knuckle draggers bludgeon problems into submission

2) Started a github project separate from any Copperspice project, that way you have plausible deniability.
- what is the standard disclaimer ... these views are my own and do not reflect those of the Copperspice team
- if this work is of value then you are certainly welcome to link to it

3) Contacted Bryan the creator of Voidrealms and sought his permission to re-use his code
-His work uses the creative commons license, so asking him was being polite.
-This is an actual port of existing Qt code, part of what

The project is very low key until certain life events occur.
barbara

Post by barbara »

CandL wrote: Fri Jan 15 2021 11:42 am
1) I do not claim to be an expert. just showing what is working for me
- Remember I am an mechanical engineer ... us knuckle draggers bludgeon problems into submission

2) Started a github project separate from any Copperspice project, that way you have plausible deniability.
- what is the standard disclaimer ... these views are my own and do not reflect those of the Copperspice team
- if this work is of value then you are certainly welcome to link to it
We think setting out to migrate Qt to CopperSpice is fantastic and will benefit our users. Thanks for checking with him, it was cool.

Not sure if teasing is allowed, however you might want to join the CS team. We would be delighted to have you as our user experience problem solver and general diplomatic ambassador.

Barbara
seasoned_geek

Post by seasoned_geek »

barbara wrote: Tue Jan 12 2021 4:04 am Moving back to Qt 4.8 is a strange and extreme option and if they wish to do that they should really consider CopperSpice and again, reach out to our team.
Not extreme when you need an undeniable OpenSource version and you need to use Webkit due to QWebEngine licensing. They also needed a __stable__ API. Qt 4.8 will not change.
seasoned_geek

Post by seasoned_geek »

crispina wrote: Tue Jan 12 2021 10:28 am What is the situation with QtCreator? Could this go closed source?
Tukkah (sp?) has admitted on the interest list they are in the process of doing this now. Tukkah doesn't care if you work on OpenSource projects, he wants you to always pay Qt money, however much he wants this time. That subscription licensing is really going to hurt people when it comes time for renewal and they find the price has doubled/tripled/quadrupled.

During Qt 4.x days we had lots of IDE alternatives.

My fork of Diamond which may or may not get rolled into Diamond itself, will eventually appear on SourceForge as RedDiamond.

I have to finish RedBug first. A port of Gede GDB front end to CopperSpice so I can finally examine a QString in the debugger. Part of the port, like I did for Diamond, will be scripts for RPM and DEB packaging. I may get derailed even further by trying to create some ARCH packaging so they can be listed in AUR. Have to get CopperSpice to build on Manjaro before that.

At any rate, I haven't decided if it will be part of RedDiamond or a shiny new SourceForge project, but once I have RedDiamond where it really needs to be, I wanted to integrate in some fashion RedBug debugger interface.