XCB crash when left doing nothing

Discuss anything related to product development
seasoned_geek

XCB crash when left doing nothing

Post by seasoned_geek »

Code: Select all

No OpenGL integration plugin was found, this is only required for programs which use OpenGL.
ASSERT: "m_timestamp[mode] == XCB_CURRENT_TIME || getSelectionOwner(atomForMode(mode)) == m_owner" in file /home/roland/Projects/copperspice/src/plugins/platforms/xcb/xcb_support/qxcb_clipboard.cpp, line 466
Aborted (core dumped)
I pulled and built a few days ago after the Vulkan stuff was merged in. This is in my RedDiamond editor and I wasn't even doing anything. I was looking something up in a browser for a while. When I came back, it was vaporized with above error.
ansel

Re: XCB crash when left doing nothing

Post by ansel »

The vulkan-dev branch is currently under development and has not been merged yet. If you are building from source you should be building from the master branch.
Ansel Sermersheim
CopperSpice Cofounder
ansel

Post by ansel »

seasoned_geek wrote: Sat Aug 13 2022 7:58 pm

No OpenGL integration plugin was found, this is only required for programs which use OpenGL.
If your application needs OpenGL you will need to install the OpenGL plugin. If your application does not use OpenGL, this message can be ignored. The warning message is reported since the XCB platform plugin cannot predict whether your application will use OpenGL.
Ansel Sermersheim
CopperSpice Cofounder
ansel

Post by ansel »

/home/roland/Projects/copperspice/src/plugins/platforms/xcb/xcb_support/qxcb_clipboard.cpp, line 466
Aborted (core dumped)
After rebuilding CopperSpice with the master branch, if you can create a small repeatable test case for this we will take a look.
Ansel Sermersheim
CopperSpice Cofounder
seasoned_geek

Post by seasoned_geek »

ansel wrote: Sun Aug 14 2022 11:55 pm The vulkan-dev branch is currently under development and has not been merged yet. If you are building from source you should be building from the master branch.
I am building from master, it looks like this.

https://www.logikalsolutions.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/cs-master-1.png

I was mistaken about it having been merged in.
seasoned_geek

Post by seasoned_geek »

ansel wrote: Mon Aug 15 2022 12:23 am

/home/roland/Projects/copperspice/src/plugins/platforms/xcb/xcb_support/qxcb_clipboard.cpp, line 466
Aborted (core dumped)
After rebuilding CopperSpice with the master branch, if you can create a small repeatable test case for this we will take a look.
When I used to provide code I was told there was no need to provide code as I was speaking to developers.

At any rate, for this one I don't think you need code. It should be reproducable even using diamond. I've had it happen several times.

1) Open a text editor written using CopperSpice.
2) Start opening browsers (in particular Falkon and Midori) and other non-CopperSpice editors. Copy snippets from them into various tabs not associated with files.
3) Kill off your browsers and other editors. Minimize or otherwise rotate to the background your CopperSpice editor
4) Open two or more unrelated editors and get lost in coding for an hour or two. Do not use the clipboard during this time.
5) When you go back to looking for the CopperSpice editor you will find that crash.

There appears to be some "event" in the XCB code that attempts to "validate" the current clipboard entry. When current clipboard entry is for a process that no longer exists it just can't handle it.

Every time it has happened it has been when the editor in question isn't in the foreground as far as the desktop is concerned. I got lost in coding or phone calls using other editors/IDEs and when I went back to the CopperSpice based editor it was dead with that error.

The only potential fly in the ointment is that this current editor can have as many QMainWindows as you want. I haven't experimented with seeing if having the item in the system clipboard being owned by a QMainWindow for the current application that is no longer around is the XCB culprit.

At any rate, some "event" triggers "validation of the clipboard copy" and if the owner of said contents no longer exists the XCB code asserts.

An even better question to ask is why the XCB code felt the need to "validate the owner" of clipboard contents or a selection when the application wasn't even visible on the desktop?
barbara

Post by barbara »

When I used to provide code I was told there was no need to provide code as I was speaking to developers.
Yes, there are actually C++ and CopperSpice developers who read this forum and wish to help. Keep in mind that when no one on the CS team can repeat an issue then someone may ask for a small sample which can reproduce the problem. As one of the co-founders of this project I can assure you we take every comment, question, and request seriously.

We welcome your suggests and enjoy hearing what you have to say. However let's keep the tone pleasant and refrain from commentary that is on the side of insulting. It is not necessary and muddles your information.

Barbara