Support for RHEL?

Discuss issues related to installing or building

Support for RHEL?

Postby b22 » Mon Oct 23 2017 3:07 am

I didn't see RHEL 7 or CentOS 7 on the list of supported operating systems. Before I spend time investigating or trying to build CopperSpice there, is there anything I should know about? Any reason to think it won't work?

At least in my particular field, RHEL is the standard, so I'd love to see it officially supported if possible.
b22

Re: Support for RHEL?

Postby marlowa » Sat Mar 24 2018 9:53 am

b22 wrote:I didn't see RHEL 7 or CentOS 7 on the list of supported operating systems. Before I spend time investigating or trying to build CopperSpice there, is there anything I should know about? Any reason to think it won't work?

At least in my particular field, RHEL is the standard, so I'd love to see it officially supported if possible.

So would I. The project I am on places an emphasis on versions of linux that are typically deployed in corporations that pay for support agreements, so RHEL is typical.
marlowa

Re: Support for RHEL?

Postby ansel » Sun Mar 25 2018 4:55 pm

In the last few months we have added a new version of Debian, Mac OS X, and we are about to update to add support for Ubuntu 18.04. We do want to support as many Linux distributions as we can.

Unfortunately it appears the compiler shipped with RHEL/CentOS 7 is GCC 4.8.5, which is far too old to have the level of C++14 support that CopperSpice requires. You could of course build or install a newer version of GCC. If there is a commonly used third-party backport repository with GCC 5.4.0 or newer available, we would be interested in adding it to our list of supported platforms.
ansel

Return to Installation